Information For Passengers Arriving Or Departing From Rwanda
As part of Government measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the following is mandatory upon entry into Rwanda as of 15 August 2020:
- All travelers arriving in Rwanda must have a negative COVID-19 certificate. The only accepted test is a SARS-CoV-2 Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed within 120 hours of departure (meaning travelers must be tested and get results within 5 days of their first flight). Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Tests (RDTs), are not accepted.
- All travelers arriving in Rwanda must complete the passenger locator form and upload the COVID-19 test certificate prior to arrival. Please see the passenger locator form and list of designated transit hotels on www.rbc.gov.rw.
- All travelers arriving or transiting through Rwanda will be screened upon entry and take a second RT-PCR test to confirm the negative results of the test done prior to arrival.
- All travelers are required to wait 24 hours for the results of their COVID-19 test in a designated transit hotel. All COVID-19 prevention measures announced by the Ministry of Health must be respected during the waiting period.
- The Government of Rwanda has negotiated special rates at designated transit hotels for the 24-hour waiting period. Should a guest wish to remain in the hotel after receiving negative test results, they are welcome to extend their stay at the hotel’s applicable rates.
Once at the hotel, the process is as follows:
- Travelers will be tested for COVID-19 and there will be a medical team to assist for a total cost of 60 USD (including 50 USD for the test and a medical service fee of 10 USD). For further information on the payment method for COVID-19 tests please visit www.rbc.gov.rw
- Test results will be received by SMS or email, and the turnaround time for results is 24hrs from the time a sample is collected.
- Upon receiving a negative test result, travelers will be invited to check out or may extend their stay in the same hotel at applicable hotel rates.
- If a traveler’s test result is positive for COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) while in Rwanda, they will be treated as indicated in the National Covid-19 Management Guidelines until they have fully recovered, at their own cost. We encourage all travelers to have international travel insurance.
Info For Passengers Arriving or Departing From Rwanda
- All travelers departing from Rwanda must test negative for COVID-19. The only accepted test is a SARS-CoV 2 Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed within 120 hours before departure. Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Tests (RDTs), are not accepted. We encourage travelers to book and pay for their tests at least 2 days prior to departure through the online platform available at www.rbc.gov.rw
- Travelers from neighboring countries planning to start their international travel from Rwanda will be screened at points of entry and taken to transit hotels where samples will be taken for a COVID-19 test. They are requested to arrive at designated transit hotels at least 48 hours before departure where they will await their test results. There will be a medical team to assist with a total cost of 60 USD (including 50 USD for the test and a medical service fee of 10 USD).
- If travelers’ test results are positive for COVID-19 (even if asymptomatic) while in Rwanda, they will be treated as indicated in the National Covid-19 Management Guidelines until they have fully recovered, at their own cost. We encourage all travelers to have international travel insurance.
The preventive measures announced by the Ministry of Health must be observed by all, especially frequent hand-washing, proper wearing of face masks in public, and maintaining safe physical distance from others (at least one meter apart). For more details about COVID-19 clinical management guidelines, please visit
Emergency Contact Information
- Toll-free number: 114
- RBC Medical Team on Duty at Airport 24/7: (+250) 781415724
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – Once again, we thank you for your cooperation in the fight against COVID-19.